Saturday, December 19, 2015

Parachute Games



     
     Gym class. An elementary student's favorite words. Gym Class. Katie, the substitute teacher's least favorite words. Gym isn't really "my thing." But I thought, it's a half day job- how bad can it be?!?!


     I walked into his office and nervously took at the lesson plans and for two classes I was leading parachute games. Jackpot! I was a camp counselor for years! I lead this for over 60 kids- on multiple occasions! I've got this.


     In walks the first class... Kindergarten. Kindergartners in gym = mass chaos and so. much. energy. They ate me alive. It was a hot mess! See, they had never done the parachute before (which I didn't know). So, not only was it a new fun toy, but there were no boundaries or expectations or safety rules set at all. My assumption of what they knew caused me a lot of "How many minutes left in class?" moments.  But finally... Whew... We all survived. No one got hurt or ended up in the office. Not  a success by any means, but not a complete and total failure.


     In walks the second class. Alright, I got this. New tactic. "Welcome first graders! Have you ever done the parachute before?" They had. But boy was I glad that I asked. I was able to find out which games they had played before. I taught a whistle signal, explained the safety issues (and consequences for not following the safety rules), and we began. It went a trillion times better than the first class. Maybe it was because they were older. Maybe it was because it was a different set of kids. Maybe it was because they had done the parachute before. But maybe, just maybe, it was because I remembered to communicate and find out what they already knew and didn't know. 


     See, when we assume about what the other person knows or doesn't know- there is a good chance that it is going to catch up to you later on. Sometimes, I think we forget to ask. We forget to try and understand where the other person is coming from. We forget that we don't always have the same experiences. In my case, it was that the kindergarten class didn't have the knowledge that I thought they had. But in some cases, I think it can go the opposite way. We assume that someone doesn't know- and therefore end up thinking (or doing) for them- when they are perfectly capable and may even be able to do it a better way. Instead of just asking. Taking that time and communicating. 


    Please learn from my failed Kindergarten Gym Class experience. Remember as you go along in your daily life, to think about the other person's knowledge base. Make a conscious effort to ask them about what they know and then go from there. You never know when you will be surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment