Sunday, November 1, 2015

Project: Appreciation--- Year 2!

Woohoo! It’s time for year two of “Project: Appreciation!” We handed out 673 cards last year. That’s at least 673 lives touched by God’s love! How cool! We passed out cards in 10 states and 2 countries. Thanks for making last year so successful! Let’s see if we can change even more lives this year!

What are the roots of “Project: Appreciation”? I’m glad you asked. The idea started last year when I was thinking about how I was going to make my Christmas different than past ones. I wanted to make it a worthwhile time where I could show God's love to others. So I started praying. I had read the book "I Like Giving" by Brad Formsa and this is the project that formed from those two things.
                     

            
Here's how it works:
1. You take (or request) as many cards as you would like to give out. They are completely free! Just ask! There are 3 different designs this year (see above).

2. Optional: Attach something to the back of the card. I attached candy canes/candy, some folks attached gift cards or small trinkets or ornaments.

3. Pass them out! Once it hits black Friday time (or even a bit before) start to spread the love! When you are in the checkout, when you see your mail carrier, when you see anyone and everyone whose job might be made a little tougher around Christmas- give them a card! (I would generally exchange the cashier when he/she handed me my receipt)

4. Walk away quickly and feel the joy of giving and thinking about someone else this holiday season :)

Disclaimers:
     I know that not everyone feels comfortable giving a gift to a stranger- but I encourage you to do it anyway. Giving isn't about your comfort, it's about changing the world through love and living generously.

     Some companies have policies that don't allow their employees to accept gifts. I handed out over 25 cards last year (some at big box stores) and never ran into this issue. However, the goal of this project isn't to get anyone in trouble so I urge you to read the card to the intended recipient, wish them a Merry Christmas, and be on your way.

     But Katie, we should appreciate everyone at all times! I agree! But the thing is, sometimes we remember to appreciate others when it is more convenient for us. It's a human thing. The holidays are a rushed time, it's just their nature, so this will "force" you to remember the people around you. Plus, the holidays are hard for a lot of people who have lost loved ones or have obligations that they have to fulfill, so often times people need someone to care. Go ahead, create your own cards for the rest of the year- making generous living your lifestyle!

How do I get cards?
                I have about 1000 cards. I am trusting that God will show me the people who are willing to go out and spread His love through appreciation. So basically, ask for them! If you are a friend, text or call, tweet or Facebook message me, and I can deliver some cards or mail them to you in an envelope!  If you are reading this blog, comment below!

     I hope that you consider doing this project with me as I scatter the state of Michigan (and maybe farther!) with appreciation for others. Maybe you need to do it to keep your heart in the right place during the busy season. Maybe you want to do it as part of a Random Acts of Kindness pledge that you have made. Maybe you want to do it in honor of someone that you have lost this year. Maybe you want to do it, just to do it! I hope that you'll find that your heart is in a giving place, not a place of pity for others or self-righteousness. Don't hand them out to put on a show, hand them out to change the world and choose to live generously this holiday season.

Original project design by Mosaic Church near Orlando, Florida.
#livegenerously inspired by "I Like Giving" -ilikegiving.com


1 comment:

  1. Katie, I love you. You amaze me. I love the Gifts that you have been blessed with. I'm glad that you OWN it. :) Keep spreading' the love, Sister! <3

    ReplyDelete