Thursday, March 3, 2016

Kindfulness

Kind: adj. having or showing a friendly, generous, and considerate nature

Mindful: adj. conscious or aware of something


     Sometimes I catch myself thinking about why more people aren't kind (mostly when watching the news). It's so much fun! Especially completing acts of kindness. Why don't people take a minute to find a way to be kind within their daily routine? It doesn't have to be some big project. It doesn't have to be some global movement. I think that all it takes is a bit of kindfulness.

     The practice of mindfulness has become widely popular as of late. Be mindful... Color a picture! Be mindful... Take a yoga class! Be mindful... Read poetry! In no way, shape, or form am I against mindfulness. Do it! Be good to yourself! However, I am suggesting we steal the idea of being mindful and apply it towards doing acts of kindness. Kindfulness! Think about being kind. Make a point to find things to do that are kind.

     I think the first part of incorporating kindfulness into your life is noticing. Which means being present where your feet are (aka put down the technology if possible). Take time to look up at the people who are in line at the store or restaurant near you. Compliment the older lady on her earnings that perfectly match her ensemble. Leave a dollar at the vending machine so that someone gets to enjoy a surprise drink. Look for opportunities to be kind.

      I think the second part of incorporating kindfulness into your life is being willing. This means you might have to talk to a stranger (which is generally pretty scary for me). This means you might have to use that extra dollar you have for an act of kindness and not another doughnut. This means you might need to sacrifice a little... but trust me, you will gain so much!

     I know that I don't have this down,  which is why I am asking you to join me in starting a movement of kindfulness. Let's do this together! Tell me in the comments how you are going to start practicing kindfulness in your life :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment